Thursday, July 2, 2009

Enhancing Life with NLP

Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)

I've been studying, teaching and running workshops on Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) for over 20 years. In my experience and deeply from my heart, I can tell you that NLP provides a powerful and life enhancing set of tools, skills, attitudes and understandings. That's a big claim, isn't it? So why do I say it?

For over 25 years, NLP has been one of the fastest growing developments in applied psychotherapy. It is a technology of achievement and excellence, derived from studying how experts in different fields obtain their outstanding results. NLP provides models for human communication, learning and behavioral competence.

Science Digest reported that NLP: “could be the most important synthesis of knowledge about human communication to emerge since the explosion of humanistic psychology... It may be the ultimate behavioural engineering tool”.

NLP provides a set of models, skills and techniques for thinking and acting effectively in the world, through which you can quickly and powerfully change, adopt or eliminate behaviours in yourself and others.

In my experience...

In my experience of over 30 years of in-depth studying of everything from formal psychology through to mystical philosophy, I have found NLP to be the most profound body of knowledge there is about human process. NLP is practical and pragmatic. It works! And it is increasingly supported by research in the fields of psychology, positive psychology and neuro-science. Yet NLP is still ahead of the curve compared to many of these fields.

Personally, I find NLP to be a life enhancing body of knowledge and set of behavioral skills. I can't recommend it glowingly or highly enough! It has made a huge difference to my life. For example, using NLP principles and techniques I've developed a field called 'LifeDesign' which I use to create a wonderful life by design rather than by accident. I've taught other people LifeDesign and they've equally achieved wonderful results. I'll describe the process of LifeDesign in more detail in a coming blog entry. However, the point I want to make here, is that without the ideas and skills of NLP it would have been unlikely that I would have created the LifeDesign process. So NLP has truly made a difference to my life and the lives of others.

Learning more

For those who are interested in learning more, I suggest you stick your toes in the water and grab a couple of books. Once you get a feel and an idea for the power of NLP, then you'll want to do some courses with a reputable trainer. In addition, there's always resources available on the web.

And of course, continue to read this blog, as I'll be sharing ideas and concepts based on NLP and Positive Psychology for doing Life Enhancing :)

Recommended NLP Books

Here's my list of 'must read' NLP books, ordered in the approx. sequence I recommend they be read in:

Frogs into Princes - Richard Bandler & John Grinder




Using Your Brain For a Change - Richard Bandler




Reframing: Neuro-Linguistic Programming and the Transformation of Meaning - Richard Bandler & John Grinder




Trance-Formations: Neuro-Linguistic Programming and the Structure of Hypnosis




The Structure of Magic: A Book About Language and Therapy - Richard Bandler & John Grinder




The Structure of Magic II: A Book About Communication and Change - Richard Bandler & John Grinder




Introducing NLP: Psychological Skills for Understanding and Influencing People - Joseph O'Connor and John Seymour




Persuasion Engineering - Richard Bandler and Joseph La Valle





Grab one or two and have a read. See if NLP makes sense and adds value to your life. Let me know what you think. I truly believe that NLP is Life Enhancing and that if you give it a go, you'll find it opens your mind and attitude to amazing ways of experiencing the world.


Want to learn more, get a copy of my book: Avoiding the Enemies to HAPPINESS!


many great wishes and smiles,
Grant

4 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with Grant when he says that NLP and positive psychology are life enhancing. Also the process of life design has allowed us to plan and live a wonderful life, one that we have thought about and chosen our directions. We really do a great life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I admire the principles and values and in particular the life design process you follow. In some ways I follow similar but informal processes. The challenge is absorbing and doing these things formally in the society we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me a straightforward way to make use of NLP in day-to-day life, is to use the concept of ‘modelling’, which is detailed with deep insight in the listed texts.
    We all know of someone/people who are able to demonstrate excellence in the manner by which they achieve particular outcomes as part of their life journey.
    Deliberately modeling the patterns of those who can achieve what we aspire to,
    is an easy way to move forward with NLP practices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree totally with Garry, combining and applying the ideas of NLP Behavioural Modelling and Life Enhancing can really be powerful and useful.

    Look for people who are living enhanced lives (according to your values) and figure out 'how' they are doing this. What are their perceptual filters, their beliefs, values, strategies etc. that support their life enhancing processes? Then replicate these in your own life.

    Also, remember the NLP behavioural modelling presupposition: "Possible in the world, possible for me -- not a question of if, just a question of 'how'"

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and comments...